Friday, October 29, 2010

Homemade Applesauce -- Who knew?!

My mom has made homemade applesauce for years.  My grandma has made applesauce for even more years.  I have never once attempted it....until last night.  I've been present when my mom makes it (usually when there's a few bruised apples left in a bag, or when the family is gathered together), but I've never watched her do it.  If only I'd known it was SO EASY!  Seriously - easy peasy lemon squeezy - no lie!

The reason I decided to give it a whirl last night is my son.  He's sick (if you read the last post, you know my day turned into a whirlwind of picking him up from school, taking him to the doctor, getting a prescription filled for him, and shopping for soft foods!).  He has a horribly swollen sore throat, and we need to get him to eat all the soft foods we can get him to eat!  I knew applesauce was a good one - but totally forgot it when we were at the store!  I realized it when we got home, and I discovered I had NO applesauce in the cupboard either.  I did, however, have some apples left in a bag that needed to be used.

Applesauce is SO EASY!  Who knew?!  Okay, a lot of you probably knew.  All I did was core, peel and chop my apples (about 8 - they were assorted, because that's what I had), and I put them in my CROCK POT!  I added sugar, cinnamon and water, then let them cook overnight.  

When I got up this morning, my kitchen smelled homey and my applesauce was ready to be stirred and served!
 
 Mmmm...can you almost smell that cinnamonny goodness?


My mom informed me today that if I'd waited until after the apples had cooked to add the cinnamon, it wouldn't have turned out so brown.  She also uses brown sugar vs. white sugar....I'll have to try that next time!


And this is my sweet boy, patiently waiting for something he can eat that won't hurt his poor little throat:

Applesauce Recipe:

8 apples, cored, peeled & chopped coarsely
1/2 c. sugar
1 - 2 tsp cinnamon (depends on your taste)
1 1/2 c. water

Place in your slow cooker, cover and set on low for 8 to 10 hours (high for 3 to 4 hours).  Once done cooking, stir with a large fork to break up the cooked apples (they'll mash really easily!).  You can serve this warm, or let cool and put in container to chill in fridge.  Keep refrigerated.

(You can also make this on the stove top -- it's easier if you halve the recipe, combine in a saucepan, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes until apples are soft.  Cool and mash)

No comments:

Post a Comment