Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Bars with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting


I decided I needed to make some pumpkin bars today.  I don't make them often, I usually leave the bars to my mom.  But I've been seeing them all over the place, and I am still on my pumpkin kick (don't worry -- if you're not a pumpkin fan, I'll eventually move on to different things), so I decided to whip up some bars today.  I wanted to bring something into work to share with my co-workers...they're always bugging me to bring goodies in!  I didn't want the same old cream cheese frosting, so I added my own little flair, and made a cinnamon cream cheese frosting - which, according to my hubby, is awesome.  The three spoonfuls I ate confirm his opinion.  Everyone at work LOVED them, and they were devoured in no time!

I used Paula Deen's recipe for pumpkin bars (found on foodnetwork.com), only I baked them in my Pampered Chef bar pan.  They turned out beautifully!  


Recipe (from Paula Deen, via www.foodnetwork.com)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 15-ounce can pumpkin
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 to 4 c. confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs milk (more or less, based on how thin you want frosting)

Cream butter and cream cheese until fully combined.  Add in vanilla, cinnamon and 2 cups powdered sugar.  Continue mixing, adding powdered sugar and milk until frosting is your desired texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment