Friday, January 28, 2011

My new favorite pancake recipe

Breakfast for dinner is a common occurrence in our house (at least once a week!) and I have used the same basic pancake recipe since I "perfected" it a few years ago.  I'd venture a new one every so often just to see if there were any better out there, and while most others have been GOOD, I've always returned to my basic stand-by.  Maybe one day I'll post that here too.  But last night I discovered a new recipe that was soooooooooooo good and so perfect -- just a little crispy on the outside, nice and tender on the inside, and oh, so light and fluffy!

The kids, of course, got sprinkles on theirs:




The grown ups had ours a little more plain, with just a drizzle of syrup:



See how fluffy?  And PERFECTLY done all the way through!
Now, I have to whine a little up front:  My griddle bit the dust last week.  I have one of those Presto 19" electric griddles, and it is used A LOT in my kitchen!!  Several times a week, at least!  It finally had enough of our abuse and refused to heat up last week.  I must go find a new one.  BUT, because of that, I had to resort to using my 10" skillet on the stovetop.  It's been a very long time since I've had to do that.  And it takes a lot longer to make dinner, only able to make 3 pancakes at a time.    But it worked, and they still turned out perfectly!

Recipe
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/4 c. butter, melted (I recommend REAL Butter!)

Mix milk with lemon juice and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder & soda, and salt.
With a fork or whisk, combine eggs and butter with milk mixture.
Add wet mixture to dry mixture, mixing thoroughly but being careful to not overmix.
Heat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat (DO NOT SPRAY!)
Drop by approx. 1/4 cupfuls onto hot surface.  When edges are dry and surface is covered in bubbles, flip.  Cook an additional minute or so, until done.  Do not flip more than once!
This should make about 14 regular sized pancakes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Mel (I saw your blog link on Facebook a minute ago and now I'm following it). :-)
    ((Hugs)) Susan (your CC friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan ::waving:: !!!
    Thanks for following :)
    I forgot to mention - I always add in a pinch of cinnamon, too! I never make pancakes without cinnamon :)

    ReplyDelete