Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Bisque

Bisque.  Pumpkin.  How could I resist??



I searched for a recipe...only found a couple (for "bisque" -- plenty for different types of soup)...and I ended up pulling from several different ones and making my own little creation.  I was worried no one would like it (it seems as if it would be an acquired taste), but my family (well, except my son) LOVED it!!!  My hubby couldn't get enough, and my girls - after tasting ours - all asked for their own bowls!  And ate it right up!  This recipe made a LOT, and there's only enough left over for one bowl (lunch for hubby tomorrow!).  

Recipe:

1 Tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
5 c. chicken stock
32 oz. can pumpkin puree
1/2 to 1 tsp allspice (if you don't have allspice you can use equal parts of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 c. dry sherry (or substitute with apple cider vinegar)
1 c. light cream or half & half
Bacon, cooked crisply

Melt butter and sautee onion and garlic until soft and tender.
Pour in stock, pumpkin, spice, sugar and sherry.  Stir together over med-hi heat.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Turn off heat, let sit for at least 10 minutes.
Transfer soup to blender (may have to do in two batches); blend until smooth.
Return soup to pot, add in cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
Serve with bacon.








1 comment:

  1. this looks so good... im going to give it a try soon. thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete